Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Falwell

Yeah I'm a bit late to the punch, I wouldn't have wasted my time with the passing of this....... guy except I just read an amusing little piece about a grad student on a trip to the Galapagos, she was on the computer when the news broke of his death, so she turned to tell the news to none other than Richard Dawkins. As you may have guessed laughter ensued.
Later that night, I was at Richard’s table when someone asked how Jerry Falwell died. And if there was one moment in my life when I was ready with a clever answer, this was it.

“He had an attack where his heart should have been,” I replied.
Now I'm not a big fan of making fun of the recently deceased but in this case I have no pity, if I knew them I would feel bad for the family (ok maybe I wouldn't, depends on what they were like... falwell's family, I wouldn't have felt bad) but I have no pity for him. He might have been a man of god or whatever but he was a racist asshole. I wouldn't have grieved for Hitler's family had I been alive at the time I'm not going to feel bad for Falwell. The man had opposed every positive action in the US for the last 60 years, he thought segregation was a good thing, he thought homosexuality should be a crime punishable by burning at the stake, fuck him the world is better off without him. As has been said before I only wish I believe in hell so I could think that he finally got whats coming to him, ok not entirely true, hell is wrong. To torture someone for an infinite amount of time for a finite amount of wrong doings simply must be immoral, actually torture is immoral but that only exemplifies my point. The truth is I got a quick smile from his passing and now I got a laugh from this persons story so that you, it's the two best things Jerry ever did (for me).

No comments: