Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Yippy, another reader.

someone actually read my site! And actually the person was from spain, so I can say I have an international audience, and they left me a comment in spanish, and even came back after I responded to their comment. of course my comment was that I dont speak spanish so i dont know what their comment said. they responded to that in english that clearly was not their first language but hey i figured out what they were saying, and as I said in the comment, their english wasnt great but it was a whole lot better than my spanish. I know Cerveza, amigo, hola, and that if your bartering you just keep saying to much in english and shake your head till they lower the price. your still getting ripped off by their standards but its cheap as hell by our standards so everyone usually wins. It took some of us a while to get used to bartering with people who were clearly far below any level of poverty known to the US, oh this was when I was in gueatemala. so any way it was akward trying to haggle for a lower price withj someone who might make a couple dollars a day to feed their entire family. Padre, another spanish word i know, told us that this was a common feeling for americans there but to haggle with them, its tradition there, and as long as your not in a hurry, its fun. he points out that they arent stupid, they are never going to sell to you without making a profit and they are always going to try to rip you off as we clearly were americans so just go for it try to haggle as best you can. his other point was we were probably all going to spend all the money we brought so if you haggled them down then you spread that same money to more families. and you got more crap to take home, which is something all americans love.
Oh speaking of gueatemala I talked to the minister of my church and asked if they were going down again and he said no the youth group is going to New Orleans to help there but that there are a few people interested in going on their own. so I may join up with that group. ok gtg peace

No comments: