Monday, January 30, 2006

My one change

Here is my answer to the question of what would I change about our system if I were given the power, but I'm hoping to hear yours.

42, just kidding

I would remove all private money from campaigns. I don't mean banning soft money or even putting caps on it I mean NO money goes into a campaign. If you want to run for office you go out and get signatures of people in your district and if you get enough then your on the ballot. Once your on the ballot you are given a specific amount of air time and press coverage all paid for by the government. In this way having rich friends does not help you. It also means that with no legal way for companies to buy your influence the elected officials might actually need to listen to their constiuents instead of their investors. I will admit that there will be problems with this system the first one that I can think of is that now pretty much anyone can run, which is good, but how do we keep the ballot from having a thousand people running for president? I'm sure we could work it out maybe a non-partisan primary where you need at least 10% of the vote to make it into the main race. Thats something that we can work on. Personally I believe that the corporate interests have far greater control over our government than they deserve and that this would be the simplest way to eliminate the majority of that control. Masive sweeping change like this is the best way I can think of to close all the loopholes. Every revolution starts with a single act of defiance.

After that I would work on creating a system of un-biased media, then Ill sart a snowball fight in hell while pigs soar efortlessly across the sky...

No comments: