Thursday, January 11, 2007

Das Surge

Everyone and there brother is saying how this new "strategy" is going to fall flat on its face. Its a horrible move that will get more people killed, both Americans and to a much larger extent Iraqis. If you want to hear about that, I'm sure you won't have trouble finding it. I feel horrible about the lives lost, and the families ruined by those loses. But without sounding extremely callous (I suck at expressing sympathy so I'll leave that to folks who are better, doesn't mean I don't care, I just don't know how to say it) there is a silver lining. We will "surge" for a couple months. And if no major positive changes take place then there will be no options left but withdrawal. It's not the best route but this "surge" may actually help reduce the time our forces spend occupying Iraq. The other silver lining would be if this surge really did what bush claims, but what are the chances of that happening? I mean this guy is pretty much 0 for 1000 when it comes to strategy so I have no hope that he will be right, although in fairness if his pipe dream works out it will be a good thing, at least in the short term. so those are my two cents.

No comments: