Thursday, March 01, 2007

School uniforms

My local school board is deciding on mandatory school uniforms. I really can't decide where I stand on the issue, it's a great idea from a equality stand point but it sucks from a freedom view. I'm sure they would do things to subsidize those students who can't afford the clothes which is also good, oh actually I'm wrong about that, the school has announced that it will not pay for uniforms. Thats where those parents who need the subsidy should step up and go look for grants, or at least look for people who know how to do grants.
Ok I started this like a week ago and never came back so I'll do a quick round up. I talked with numerous people about this including people my own age with children who would be affected, as well as other people who have had children in catholics schools with uniforms. I'm not sure if I spoke with any one who actually had to wear a uniform themselves. Basically there was only one person who was strongly opposed and it was my friend who plays in a punk band (elmira punk division) and has a green mohawk at the moment. As you might guess he was against the restriction of freedom. This was my original opinion too, but looking at him as he said this I finally decided that its a weak argument. He's going to be a punk rocker whether hes wearing his black jacket with a huge Punks Not Dead logo on the back or if he was wearing a school uniform. Its just clothes, if your clothes are the only thing that define you as a person then your pathetic and I have nothing but pity for you. So after a bit of thought and time away due to outside circumstances I must say that I am for school uniforms, maybe even nationally, although a pervasive enough argument could still change my mind.

Peace, have a great weekend and if you happen to be near Binghamton, NY tonight stop over to the Downtown Quarterback for a great punk rock show. I'll be the fat guy in the mosh pit. Often the only one not wearing black (goes with the whole clothes shouldn't be the only thing that defines you) but I think my one black shirt is clean. So look for the fat guy in the mosh pit with a collared shirt. If you call me Kilgore Trout I'll laugh and tell yo my real name, then we'll have a beer.

No comments: