Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Mission Still Not Accomplished

May 1, 2003

It's that bitter anniversary again. Four years ago they claimed that, "major combat operations in Iraq have ended." Yeah how'd that work out? I've wish I had some biting retort, I wish I had words that could express the anger of being lied into a war, lies I never for a moment believed, lies I was called un-american for not believing, then rather than ever once admitting a single mistake they simply kept piling more lies on top. Still now after four fucking years they are still telling us they just need a few more months and if we'd just sit down and shut up then we could see how right they are. Well fuck you very much sir, but you've had your time, we've given you a few more months enough times, the answer is known. You failed, your "policy" failed. We don't even know what victory means. The only vague vision anyone has is a pro-America democratic Iraq and the extermination of all terrorists. Unfortunately the first of those two is an oxymoron at this point, a democratic Iraq will not be pro-US because the majority of Iraq is absolutely not pro-US, you can't indiscriminately kill hundreds of thousands of civilians, take away the few rights and privileges they had and expect them to still like you. So we might get a pro-US dictator or an anti-US democracy, or just as likely an anti-US dictatorship, or continued anarchy at the end of a rifle. So what about the extermination of terrorism. uh yeah no. Wars against ideas, lets see war or drugs, war on poverty, war on terror. Batting average for wars against ideas isn't too hot. Because there isn't a bomb in the world that can kill an idea. That's about all I can muster at this point. It barely skims the tip of the iceberg but its a start, be angry, be sad, be vocal, let people know that you care about this war and what its doing to the people of Iraq and the people here. We've been screaming for so long its tough not to get hoarse but we must continue on, there must be an end to this tunnel somewhere.

I just wish I could find a video for the Propagandhi song, War is Peace, because its been running through my head all morning, the opening lines are.

"Four more years of War is Peace, Ignorance is Strength, Slavery's Freedom.
Four more years of May all your interventions be Humanitarian
Four more years of pay-to-play politics, power and influence
Four more years of legalized bribery to serve corporate interests"


On a minor note this is also my 700th post. yippy.

2 comments:

Lara said...

i'm sorry, i know this makes me totally lame, but... this is your 700th post?! that's crazy! i only just passed 200 myself.

(i swear i read more of the post than just that part, and it was great. that was just the part that made me go "HUH?!")

Kilgore Trout said...

Well Its been going for about a year and a half now. I did take something of a hiatus for a while when I attempted a more serious blog about local politics prior to the '06 elections, so I've also got a few from that site. If you really want to be surprised, I only had the internet at my house for about 6 months of that year and a half, the rest has been done at friends houses or at work, mostly at work. Ha, tough job right?