Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Nigeria Sues Pfizer

My first reaction was "Ha, get the bastards" I didn't even know why they were being sued. It turns out its because of some possibly illegal testing of drugs during an epidemic. Obviously I have no idea if the tests were done legally or not, only Pfizer and someone in Nigeria know that for certain. But while I was initially happy at the idea of socking back against a giant corporation by a third world country, I am already thinking of the consequences. Pfizer will probably retaliate by simply moving on to some other nation who's people won't complain when they test drugs on them. Then they will turn around and raise the price of the drugs they sell to recoup the losses from the law suit which could be serious when talking about a $9 Billion lawsuit. So in the end will Pfizer learn a lesson (assuming they are found guilty) no probably not. I don't want to be cynical but sometimes its tough. Oh and this whole story reminds me a lot of the movie "The Constant Gardener" then again considering this lawsuit is based on things that happened 10 years ago maybe it is the inspiration for the movie.

No comments: