Monday, January 28, 2008

Obama Mystery

During a party over the weekend I had an interesting and oddly enlightening conversation about politics. Now I've known this person for a while but we've only actually become friends quite recently. I'm not sure if she was just talking about something that interests her or if she knows that I follow politics fairly close. Either way we talked about Hillary and Obama, we laughed at the republicans. She said she doesn't want a super religious president and I mentioned Huckabee's pledge to turn the US into a theocracy. Then she got slightly uncomfortable as she tried to say why she didn't like Obama, clearly she was trying to find a way to not sound offensive but was trying to say that she didn't think she could vote for a Muslim. To which I pointed out Obama isn't Muslim. You could tell she was quite surprised by this, which came as a bit of a shock to me because I consider this person quite intelligent, but apparently misinformed. Someone else piped up at that point also surprised that Obama isn't a Muslim. I was blown away. People really can be duped that easily, how did such fabrications get ingrained in peoples minds. I heard stories a while ago trying to claim that he was Muslim (which shouldn't matter anyway, but it does) I just never imagined that people actually believed it.

On a related note, I just started reading The Audacity of Hope, so far so good.

No comments: