Thursday, February 21, 2008

Crazy Ass World

Ok the last post was why I respect scientists, in short because they'll congratulate someone who proves them wrong. Now I want to say why I love science. Science just shows us the universe as it really is, its not saying thats the way things should be it just says thats the way things are, at least from the evidence so far. Kinda Machiavellian but what can ya do? But the truly amazing part is the stuff thats going on out there.

First I'll start small, very small, just a single cell. I can't help but think of some of our doomsday scenarios of nuclear holocaust and I've had some tell me nothing will survive and I've always said yes something will, maybe not people but life will go on. Deinococcus radiodurans will survive. 10 Gy will kill a human 5000 Gy won't kill Deino shit an instantanous blast of 15,000 Gy will only kill some. Rugged bastard.

Now to astronomy where shit really gets crazy. Anytime pulsars come out you know good times will be had. I'm not even going to explain this one, just go read about it. Still don't believe me? the post is called Vampire Star.

No comments: