Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Progessive

Ok Next paycheck im getting a subscription to the Progressive. This is from their e-mails. I think Ive got a link to their website but here is the e-mail in full. There is one simple Idea that I really like, all it takes is a few people to stand on a street corner and protest, maybe do it once a week. But if people did this in every town in america then people might start to get the idea. Thanks to The Progessive.

Dear Friend,
I just came back from a visit to supporters of The Progressive in the Seattle area.
One of the highlights was joining a picket line at the main intersection in Mt. Vernon, which is a little more than an hour north of Seattle.
Every work day a few hardy peace activists gather there to protest the Iraq War.
On Friday, I was one of six, enough to have all four corners covered.
One protester, Scott Morgan, held up a huge yellow plastic sign with the words "Impeach Them All" written in large, black letters.
Bill Johanson, who has made up 81 signs on 41 boards, handed me a "War Is Not the Answer" sign to hold. He was carrying one that he hoped would stir things up a little: "Bush Freedom Is Spelled F-A-S-C-I-S-M."
Protesting, he says, "keeps me going."
Jerry Sommerseth, who gives piano lessons when he's not picketing, says he's been at this corner of Kincaid and 1st Street for 20 years now, starting as a protester against Reagan's war in Central America. Sommerseth gave me his business card, which says on the bottom: "War is Terrorism."
The reaction from the cars going by was primarily positive. Deymian LeSar, who held a "Moms for Peace" sign, said that's the way it always is.
I left this little lively picket feeling energized and encouraged.
And I thought, if even six people with protest signs could gather at the main intersection of every town in America once a week or so, we might be out of Iraq a whole lot faster.
* * *
A few days ago, on our website, I posted a story that really rankles me. It's about Laura Berg, a VA nurse in Albuquerque for the last 15 years, who wrote a letter to the editor of her local weekly that was critical of the Bush Administration. For that, her supervisors seized her computer and investigated her for--get this!--"sedition." Is this what our country is coming to?
My colleague Amitabh Pal also has posted his analysis of the insatiable budget of Bush's Pentagon. I think you'll find that one interesting, as well.
And if you haven't read Russ Feingold's powerful speech indicting both Bush and Congress, you can find it at the bottom of my article "Feingold Tells It Like It is."
As always, I hope this material is useful to you.
Peace,
Matthew RothschildEditor, The Progressive

No comments: