Thursday, February 22, 2007

Thanks for the security


To the shock of no one in the real world terrorism is on the rise worldwide. But to be fair, its a pretty slight increase if you take out Iraq and Afghanistan.

35% more attacks and 12% more fatalities, its pretty bad, but compared to the numbers that include the wars, its not so impressive. I don't have anything to add to this that hasn't been said before and probably more eliquintly than I'd be able to pull off. Its not a complex issue, the response to it is, but the issue itself is simple if you kill people, especially innocent civilians, then those who survive will be angry at you. Same reason we were pissed at Osama for killing three thousand americans, they're pissed at us for killing a few hundred thousand of their people. See its really just that simple. Oh sure theres more to it, but thats the basic point. Interestingly the opposite is also true, if you don't kill people they're friends don't hate you. Better yet if your nice to people often (not always) they'll be nice back. What a concept.

This comes from Mother Jones, which I got to from Hell's Handmaiden so thank you, to both.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for the graphs. This illustrates a fantastic point, and your right, these graphs say more than I would be able to say here. Great find!

Anonymous said...

Found you randomly on Google.

Interesting chart. Without any real sources, it's bullshit.

How bout I make a graph showing the opposite, and then you post it?

Kilgore Trout said...

Mother Jones is a muckraking magazine and has been for a very long time, that it the source. Seeing as I posted this a year ago I don't recall where they got their info but I believe it was from the US government.

If you have a problem with the fact that there is more terrorism now than before the war then maybe you should do something to stop the war rather than badger me because you don't like the graph I found.

Have a good one