Monday, April 09, 2007

Grindhouse

I watch too many movies, but I rarely bother to spend the money to go to the theater. But as some of my recent posts will indicate I was having a pretty bad day on Friday and so a good friend convinced me to go see Grindhouse. He didn't have to twist my arm too far, plus I had a free ticket from christmas. It was exactly what I needed. Three and a half hours as far from reality as sobriety will allow. The first movie was Robert Rodriguez zombie spectacular. Completely over the top and un-realistic. It was great. The second one was much slower. Lots of classic Tarantino dialog centered around a group of strong women. I almost wonder if Quentin keeps going female heroes to make up for reservoir dogs which didn't have a single speaking line for a woman. Or maybe he just realized that its his choice if he wants to be surrounded by beautiful women while at work... But the important bit is that the movie ends with a great chase scene between a Charger and a Challenger, straight out of Vanishing Point which is mentioned a few times in the flick. But being Tarantino he must take it another step further, so during the entire chase, there is a woman crawling around on the hood of the Challenger. They were playing a game where one person lays on the hood of the car while driving when suddenly it turns into a chase scene. Oh the woman are stunt professionals hence their rather unusual views of what constitutes a good time. Then again I've ridden in locations other than inside of a vehicle on a few occasions, ah the joys of youth and stupidity. So good flick, plus the fake movie previews are fantastic, such as "Werewolf Women of the SS." Quality.

No comments: