Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Holy Shit

I mean that literally. They claim to be holy and they're pieces of shit. There was a massacre in the US so whats that mean, oh yes our old friends the Phelps and their cohorts from the Westboro Baptist Church plan to picket the funerals of those killed at Virginia Tech. Yeah thats fuckin' classy. Now I'm an absolute defender of freedom of speech, theses folks push me pretty damn close to changing my mind, but then I calm down a little. Yes they have the right. I hate to say it but they do. To use a line from someone I work with, Freedom of speech is not nice, its not pleasant, its vile and angry, but it's necessary for a free society. Of course we all have freedom of speech so anyone in the area go ahead and counter protest/ show support for those grieving. I was invited once to counter protest them once but it was three hours away and I had about four hours notice, I wasn't able to go.

Anyway these folks are about as vile as anything I can think of, I'm not sure but the Phelps protests might be worse than the old yelling "Fire!" in a crowded movie theater, but it's legal. And it needs to be. Although many towns have created ordinances saying no protests of any sort at cemeteries which is reasonable. I would still love to be at one of those counter protests, especially in VA, that will be big if this news gets out locally. I liked hearing about the "Hells Angels" showing up for the counter protests. A couple hundred bikers standing in line between the Phelps and the funerals. I gained a lot of respect for the Hells Angels for that one.

No comments: