Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Soundtrack of your life

If your life was a film, what would the soundtrack be?

So, here's how it works:

1. Open your library. (iTunes, Winamp, Media Player, iPod, etc)
2. Put it on shuffle.
3. Press play.
4. For every question, type the song that's playing.
5. When you go to a new question, press the next button.
6. Don't lie and try to pretend you're cool.
7. When you're finished, tag some other people to do it!

I included my favorite lines to songs that I have favorite parts of, plus links to pages with the lyrics if you want to read what these guys are saying. And yeah for some reason I have almost no music by women. I guess I like fairly aggressive music, and there are few female voices that work well for it, but there are some. Like the Horror Pops.

Opening Credits: Punk Rock Jock - Operation Ivy
Its a good fast song but very upbeat, nothing scary. Although the lyrics are nearly unrecognizable.

Waking Up: Thieves In The Night - Mos Def (maybe Blackstar?)
I'll point out that for some reason I have a lot more hip/hop on my phone than I normally listen too. I was on a Mos Def kick when I loaded songs onto the phone, which is my mp3 player. Anyway its a pretty good song. Favorite line,
"I asked him why we follow the law of the bluest eye, he looked at me said I'm clueless why? The question was retorical the answer is horrible."
Actually there are some lines right after that I might like better but thats more effort than I plan to expend.

First Day At School: You Will Lose Faith - NOFX
Favorite band. Good song from their newest LP, which is one of the most atheistic albums I've ever heard, especially if you get "never trust a hippy" which is an EP (or do I have those switched) and has only about 6 songs. Buy both then burn a copy with both on it, I like it that way.
"The unsympathetic judge who was having a bad day so he threw your life away is your faith a comfort still I know the answer still I ask where is your god now?"
Actually there is a part that would have been more fitting about breaking up a fight at school, only for someone to pull a gun and getting shot for trying to help.

Falling In Love: Instant Crassic - NOFX
Way too fitting. funny that it gave me the same group twice in a row, it happens.
"I'm swimming in a sea of pee, I'm hiking up a big mountain of poo, I feel like rolling in glass when I'm without you."

Fight Song: One Dead Cop - Leftover Crack
Ok I cheated on this one. Operation Ivy is not fight music. Leftover Crack is.
" I never took such pleasure in a death, A hatred born of freedom’s dying breath, The police kill and then they lie some more, In a conspiracy to cage the poor."

Breaking Up: March of the Crabs - Propagandhi
Not my favorite song by them, lyrics aren't easily deciphered so no particular favorites.

Prom: Twice in a Lifetime - Mos Def
Theres a female artist at the start of this song that I'm just not a fan of. Shes spends too much time saying how great she is, and I'm never a fan of excessive ego's.
"You stoppin' us is preposterous, like an androgenous masohganist, You pickin' the wrong time, steppin' to me when I'm in my prime like Optimus."
preposterous like an androgynous misogynist, come on thats funny, yeah its spelled very wrong on the lyric page.

Life: Let Them Eat War - Bad Religion
I'm not sure what this would say about your life, unless you were a president or a king or something.
"You never stole from the rich to give to the poor, All he ever gave to them was a war, And a foreign enemy to deplore."
Good tune. Great Band. Lead singer has a PhD from Cornell I guess he's even taught a couple classes. I bet he's a cool teacher.

Making babies: Interrogation - The Coup
Ok terrible song for making babies. Who "makes babies" to one song anyway? I'm not trying to brag but "making babies" takes at least a full album, two if they are punk (short albums), although due to the tempo you might have a heart attack. I can think of worse ways to go. Oh anyway this song is nuts. Its all about talking to the police, first just about trying to avoid them, then about killing cops by the end of the song. I do like the begining,
"I aint seen shit, i aint heard (nothing) i dont know what happen, i dont speak pig latin"
I just love the idea of saying, I'm sorry I can't understand you, I don't speak pig latin, to a cop. If your not white you'd get shot. oh theres also a line about a "dead ocean of pigs" yeah I don't think these guys like police officers.

Mental Breakdown: Holiday in Cambodia - Dead Kennedys
"Kiss ass while you bitch so you can get rich, But your boss gets richer on you, Well you'll work harder with a gun in your back, For a bowl of rice a day"
DK has plenty of songs that would be fitting to have a mental breakdown too. Too Drunk To Fuck, and Kill The Poor come to mind. The first of those would be a good song for (not) making babies.

Driving: Sold As Freedom - Anti-Flag
I'd be speeding if this was my driving song... so... yeah.
"Fight fire with fire!, Pull gasoline on the world inferno, Burn it so hot that the world incinerates, when they're all dead we'll have no issues to resolve."

Flashback: Piss on Your Grave - The Coup
This is a song about peeing on George Washington's grave. Not sure if this is my favorite part but its good, er sorta, I mean its about something bad, but well done. I'm sticking with its good,
"That bitch ass on the front of a buck, never gave a fuck, he forced his black women slaves, to give him dick sucks, and when he bust a nut, he'd laugh and cackle, let the leather whip crackle, send 'em back to pick tobacco shackled."

Getting back together: I'm the one - Descendants
Ok this is an example of pre-emo emo. but quite fitting.
"I'm the one, who's shoulder you've been cryin on, i'm the one who wants you more than anything, you don't feel the same way you made it clear to me, but i'll stand my ground and maybe, you'll hear what i've been sayin, after all i've said and all i've done, i'm the one"

Wedding: Where They Wander - Horror Pops
This might be the only female led group on my phone. It would be a great song to dance to if you can do a swing at considerably higher than normal speed. It would be cool if you could pull it off. If you don't know the Horror Pops think of old swing music, mixed with punk rock and crappy horror movies. Of course this song is about zombies which isn't the best subject for a wedding. Oh well.

Birth of Child: Helena - Misfits
Hmm... this would have been better for the wedding.... This is a pretty twisted song in all reality.
"If I cut off your arms and cut off your legs, Would you still love me anyway?, If you're bound and you're gagged, draped and displayed, Would you still love me anyway?, Why don't you love me anyway?"
Those are just the opening lines.

Final Battle: Atheist Anthem - Leftover Crack
Uh not sure where to start. this is definitely a song you could get in a fight to. And someone is going to lose, and lose badly. Considering my death scene is next I'm not sure if I get mortally wounded here or if I'm the winner then get hit by a bus.

Death Scene: Who Killed Marilyn? - Misfits
These guys were big Marilyn Monroe fans, hence they named their band after her last movie. Oh and they hate the Kennedy's because they blame them for her death. Which is the reason for the song Bullet which is about JFK getting shot.

Funeral Song: Selfish Man - Flogging Molly
Irish punk rock these guys and Dropkick Murphys are just a great combo of old irish drinking songs and punk rock, flogging molly being the slightly more mellow of the two.
"And life leads me here, It shows me, I have never really loved no one but me, Like the time, you slipped through my hands, I'll never understand why I'm such a Selfish Man."
I have never really loved no one but me, I thought that was quite true until I was recently reminded that its not.

End Credits: The Roof is on Fire - Bloodhound Gang
This song shouldn't need an intro. great on so many levels. Everyone my age can still sing at least half of this song without the music. If one person breaks into it, instantly others will join in. Heres a good verse.
"Yeah I'm hung like planet Pluto hard to see with the naked eye, But if I crashed into Uranus I would stick it where the sun don't shine, 'Cause I'm kind of like Han Solo always strokin' my own Wookie."
Only problem is Pluto isn't a planet anymore.

Ok I stole this straight from My Life.... but thats sort of the idea. Usually these get passed on not stolen, but no one has ever sent me a meme, so I'm just going to pretent that someone did. Oh and I did cheat a couple of times, had to get some good songs up there, and some variety, so I broke #6, srry. Hope you enjoyed my little list.

2 comments:

aMom2E said...

I agree about blood hound gang... Everyone from Gen X through whatever this generation of college students is (those born around 1987)can sing at least the chorus!

I am pretty pop-culture retarded, so there were some terms in there I didn't recognize. What is emo? What is pre-emo emo?

I didn't tag anyone to play to game and I stole it from another person's blog (they didn't tag me--you are like one of three people in the blogsphere who has a clue I exist--or at least has delurked to let me know they exist), so I am really glad you did it!

Kilgore Trout said...

Why Thank You. And nice to know I'm not the only thief. Emo by my personal definition is recent explosion of bands that have a fairly fast punkish sound but with "emotional" lyrics, hence the name emo. My normal example is My Chemical Romance. Have you noticed all the high school kids walking around (easier to notice for guys) wearing skin tight jeans, lots of eye make up and probably a tight black t-shirt with some design on it. Its similar in style to goth but tighter fitting. Now I wouldn't care one way or the other about Emo, other than two important things.

First people think thats punk rock, its not. The problem with punk rock was that its entire point was a big fuck you to mainstream culture, it was backlash against disco, hair metal and Reaganomics. Their were bands that prided themselves on taking apart an old album to learn how to cut the card board then cut out and hand glued the covers together in a garage, slapped a sticker on the vinyl and sold 'em. Completely DIY. Corporate america saw this getting popular but couldn't find a way to make money on it. A few bands got very big, Green Day, The Offspring but they were attacked by the old punkers. So recently the companies went back to the well and decided that they could use the sound just take away all the rebellion and replace it with self-loathing. You'll almost never find a punk song about a relationship. Emo is all about failed love and crap. Basically take punk music and add christina agulera lyrics and you have emo. Oh there was also another music style called emo that was very hardcore, but thats not what most people are referring too.

The second reason I don't like emo. Cutting. Its become a all too common pastime for people in that scene. You'll always have those angry depressed teens who's lives are shit. The emo route is to say yup it sucks lets go cry about it. The punk route is to say fuck you to those who make your life and everyone else's life suck, tear down the system of oppression, send the rich to jail.

Oh and bi-sexuality is pretty common too, but that doesn't bother me.

The Descendants were an early punk band that did a good number of songs that if released today would be considered emo, but that term wasn't around yet so they are punk, and many of their songs were punk. hence Pre-Emo Emo. Makes sense right?

And yeah the Bloodhound Gang rule.