Monday, April 30, 2007

ugh

Well was quite ill Friday, then Saturday I drove 3 hours into the Catskill mountains for a beer festival, Tap-NY. Yeah wasn't the smartest combo. And actually I'm still not feeling great so this may be even more poorly written than usual. Anyway, obviously wasn't able to fully enjoy the festival, but I wasn't going for the beer. Ok that was a factor but it wasn't the reason I was going. My sister invited me to a beer festival, I went to see her. I was a bit disappointed though when I realized that the most we actually talked was on the 15 minute drive to get breakfast on Sunday morning before we all split off. It's not that I had any pressing issues I needed to talk about, its not like there's any crisis in my life, but I've only got one sister. She lives 5 hours away, we only see each other a few times a year. It's better than when she lived on the west coast, then I only got to see her once a year. But things were a little different then, probably only on my end. I didn't appreciate how great my family really is at that time, I just took them for granted. So I'm trying to be better about that, I'm trying to see the fam more often, especially my sister. We are so similar and yet very different. We are both can be cynical and sarcastic, we're both strong people, but maybe not quite as strong as we pretend to be. Oh I also was the first member of the family to meet my sisters boyfriend. Unfortunately he wasn't feeling well either so it was a little tough to get a feel for him. He seems alright. I'm not all that protective of my sister, yes I am, but she's the older of the two of us, she's tough and she's smart and can pretty well crush most peoples wills without effort. So unless the guy really rubs me the wrong way I figure shes fine, luckily she doesn't pick bad dudes. Hehe, speaking of the dude, many of the people we were at the festival with were his friends from college, so I got a few little pieces of info about him that could absolutely be used against him. I just said that both my sister and I are sarcastic, we got that from my father. He's a great guy, everyone loves him, but he does like making jokes. If he can get a laugh he goes for it even if its at someone elses expense, but he can take a joke. That's just how we are, we rip on each other, be ready for it. Of course if your going to try to date his baby (my sister is his favorite, but thats ok mom likes me more) then he's going to test you. And so when one of the dude's friends tells me a rather insulting nickname its in his best interest not to give me a reason to tell my dad that name. Although it will be hilarious because I'm not going to be able to hold that one in for very long. I'm not sure why I've taken to calling him the dude, I don't like using people's real names on here, but I don't know where the dude came from, hes not a "the dude" at all. No dude would admit to being a Jack Johnson fan. Ok enough about all that, my sisters friends are interesting and so very different than the people I associate with, the main difference being that they actually have ambition, oh and while not all of my friends finished high school, she has a few friends that only have bachelors, most have or are working on advanced degrees. My friends work at subway, her friends have careers. It sucks hanging out with folks like that and realizing that the only difference between myself and her is ambition. She usually gave me credit as the smarter of the two of us, and yet she and her cohorts are off doing big things and I'm stuck in a dead end job with a degree I may never use again. So it goes.

I need to go back to school.

No comments: