Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I've Found Religion

Uh, well sorta... I just finished reading Cat's Cradle by the late, great Kurt Vonnegut Jr. There is a fake religion that is quite important to the story. The religion is fake not only in that it was made up for the book, but even in the book the religion is proud of the fact that it is nothing more than lies, but lies that will make you feel better. The religion is Bokononism and I'm a fan.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies."

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way."
Ok so the religion does believe in a god which I'm no fan of but more importantly the only thing that is sacred is Man. I'll assume that means man-kind and not men, don't get all anal about it, silly feminists.

Oh and I absolutely love the bit about Grandfalloons, first off I'll explain that a Karass is a group of people who are all working towards a common goal, although they usually don't know that they are in a Karass together and don't know of their goal. A Grandfalloon is a false Karass, people who think they have some common connection. Nations are a prime example of this. In the book there is a woman who is obsessed with Hoosiers, which is obviously a Grandfallon. Bokonon (the founder of the religion) has this to say about Grandfalloon.
"If you wish to study a granfalloon, just remove the skin of a toy balloon."

No comments: