Thursday, May 01, 2008

National Day of Prayer

"Arthur hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction there and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife." - Douglas Adams

Personally I pray for the restoration of the separation of church and state. But we all know how effective prayer is so I should plan on actually putting some effort into that one instead of just talking to myself. I think I mentioned it before but there's a billboard in my town that I absolutely love, there is a picture of the Dali Lama and in big block letters it says, "He doesn't just pray for peace, He works for it." I bet that wouldn't go over well in some places, fuck those places. And I'll finish with another DNA quote.

"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." - Douglas Adams

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hee, I love Douglas Adams.

I think the Dalai Lama ad is actually part of the "For Better Life" campaign, which is a campaign I generally like very much. Even if it is funded by conservative Christian asshat Philip Anschutz. If they'd remove "faith" as one of their highly touted virtues, I'd have a hard time arguing with it at all.

Kilgore Trout said...

If a person is willing to work for legitimate progress then I won't insult them for doing it in the name of "faith," at least not to their face. Yeah I'd rather have people doing good because it's the right thing to do and not because of rewards and punishment in the next life, but hey at this point I'll take what I can get.