Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ordained Atheist

Yup a guy who loves making fun of religion, god and the followers of both has just become a man of the cloth, but not the molester type. I went with an ordination from the Church of Spiritual Humanism, and while I'm not spiritual I'm perfectly comfortable with the tenets of Humanism and Spiritual Humanism doesn't seem to add any craziness, in fact they tell you you're not to invoke any gods, spirits, demons or anything supernatural. And they adhere to the scientific method. I'm not really certain where the spiritual part comes from but whatever. Then again spiritual actually goes back to the word "to breath" so I guess I am spiritual after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always thought you were spiritual. That's the label I like to use when people ask me. Then I get puzzled looks. Congratulations on your ordination.

Kilgore Trout said...

I know a lot of people that consider themselves "spiritual" which to me seems to have a connotation about the same as the old word "deist." Usually meaning they believe there is a higher power but don't like any of the organized religions. Deist is a little more specific, it means they believe in a higher power but not a personal god that answers prayers and looks out for them but just sort of a creator. Anyone who believes in a personal god that listens to them and gets involved with the affairs of man is a Theist. Those are probably over simplifications but I think it gets the point across.

I am atheist because I think it makes more sense to call that nature while standing in awe of the beauty that is nature. I just don't what is gained by saying it was created by an intelligent super-being that doesn't get involved. But now that I know where the meaning of the word Spirit comes from, I kinda like it.

Speaking of words, you know whats odd? The greek word for Knowledge is the basis of the word Demon, the latin word for Knowledge is the basis of the word Science. I find that interesting.