Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Attack of the Human-Animal Hybrids!

Just caught this over at Punk Ass Blog, it comes from an old Bush quote
Tonight I ask you to pass legislation to prohibit the most egregious abuses of medical research: human cloning in all its forms; creating or implanting embryos for experiments; creating human-animal hybrids; and buying, selling or patenting human embryos.

I never realized just how stupid it was before. At first to a laymen like myself it sounds stupid because I highly doubt anyone is trying to create super-humans by mixing DNA in a way that would give Hitler a chubby. Then I feel stupid when I find out that the real reason the quote is so bad is because we've been doing this for years and you know what one of the major products produced from human-animal hybrids is? Insulin. Yup that shit thats keeping thousands of people alive everyday is created by sticking some human DNA into E. coli bacteria. This is another example of why it's so exciting to have a president who actually give a shit about Science again.

To be fair, Chimera's can get tricky and we probably should be careful with how far we take it. There will always be people who want to push the limits, do shit just to see if it can be done and sometimes maybe it is appropriate to head them off before they go too far. Again thats why having a government that knows what it's talking about is so important.

Oh and this shouldn't be confused with Chimaira, that shit should be wiped out of existence with all deliberate speed. What can I say I don't like metal.

No comments: