Thursday, July 09, 2009

Gettin in shape

I've always been in some sort of shape, now I'm just looking for it to be more renaissance and less modern art, something a bit less free form.

So here are a few links for training stuff, the first is about VO2max which is the maximum amount of oxygen your body can use for a sustained period of time. This number they said is pretty much set by genetics, if you're totally unfit you can increase it maybe 15-20% an athlete can only hope to increase it by 3-5% The one you can really do something about is Lactate Threshold the subject of the second article.

I'm contemplating my first group ride. The local bike shop (Kingsbury's Cyclery - slightly more info) is the meeting point for twice weekly rides. Tuesday's and Thursday's, I was warned to avoid Tuesday because they are far more competitive and will leave me in their dust. I haven't seen the Thursday crew but they are supposed to be more relaxed. I'm not sure if this means I'll be able to keep up but I think I might try. Wish me luck, I might need it, especially if they go after the hills. I hate hills.

No comments: