Thursday, April 19, 2007

Second Amendment

I've heard several things on this same vein but this just cut through and hit the nail on the head with the title alone. The rest is quite good as well.
Heres the Newsvine seed, or here is the original article. Oh its from The Young Turks, I don't really know them but I've heard some good things.

I'll Give You the Second Amendment If You Give Me the Rest Back

I'll make you a deal. You give me the rest of the amendments back that Bush has gutted and I'll gladly give you the second amendment. What happened to the right to an attorney? What happened to not being forced to incriminate yourself? What happened to not being subjected to cruel and unusual punishment? What happened to warrants?! What happened to habeas corpus?!!!

You give me all of those back and then some, and you can have your lousy second amendment. America is a little sick in the head with guns. The NRA believes we should have unfettered access to all firearms and doesn't believe there is any downside. That is so wildly disingenuous.
[...]

We have to find reasonable middle ground. But in order to do that, you have to reasonable people on the other side. Unfortunately, I think we're all out of those at this point.
I don't get terribly upset by the fact that I am surrounded by psycho's, I came to terms with that years ago. When you try to hand someone a flier for a politician and they simply look at you and say, "how's he feel about guns" it makes me sad. I can understand why a person would not want to vote for a politician who wanted to make their favorite pass time illegal. I get busted on by my car buddies when I mention voting for Nader. Sure he killed the muscle car, but I like his politics. He might go after the racing that I love as a means to reduce environmental damage, and yeah race cars with mufflers are lame. But its still racing, if we have a mode of transport, any mode of transport we will race it. Perfect example, segway races, uber-lame but its still a race. So on to hunting, no one cares what you do in the woods. No one plans to take away your right to go kill bambie, its just not important to the world. But taking automatic weapons off the streets and requiring background checks for pistols has absolutely nothing to do with hunting. Ok theres some hunting that uses pistols, snakes I think, but hunting usually has a season, you need to get your permit more than 5 days ahead, why is it so tough to need to buy your gun five days ahead too?

No comments: