Monday, May 07, 2007

The Bar Scene

I'm not much of a fan of bars in general. Not because I'm against drinking, far from it, but standing around listening to bad music, shouting to friends who can't hear you while paying way to much for a beer is generally not my idea of a good time. If there is a concert going on then it fun, it's still the same problems but at least there is mosh pitting, and if EPD is playing I get free beer. But a friend convinced me to go out. It was actually fairly cheap because a friend was buying most of my drinks in exchange for doing some work on his car. So were havin a good time and I start bullshittin' with some girl, cute face but not great looking, but she seemed fun. We somehow ended up in an Epic Thumb War, which is about the only war I condone. So I'm making small talk with her and her friend when suddenly another friend of hers flew into the scene, she was quite attractive and was in no uncertain terms hitting on me. Not I'm not a particularly attractive man, plus at the time I wasn't a particularly sober man so when an attractive college student begins hitting on me, well lets just say I am susceptible to flattery. Now I wish I had stuck with the first girl, she was cool and upon sober reflection didn't seem nearly as insane as the girl hitting on me. Oh another not so minor reason that I wish I had continued to hit on the first girl instead of the girl hitting on me, the second girls boyfriend was there, and wanted to start hitting on me. This jacked little military dude came outta no where and shoved me against the fence (we were outside) and was ready to fight. I'm not a fighter, I got in a fight once in elementary school, I lost, thats my fighting history. Luckily we had mutual friends and they pulled him back and calmed him down. All his friend apologized and said, yeah he does that. I wish I could say that I would never associate with people like that but the truth is I do have one friends who had a tendency to try to solve his problems with his fists. I was glad he wasn't there because him and little military guy would have been a brutal fight and I vastly prefer avoiding fights and police and whatnot. Somewhere in that whole thing all three girls left. In one quick shove I went from walking out of the bar with three girls, to walking out with a bunch of dudes, definite downgrade. So where did we go after the bar? To guy-who-wanted-to-fight-me's place. He was typical former athlete turned military now off to college guy. Huge ego, large muscles but not so great with that ever important muscle that hides in your skull. Been put on a pedestal his whole life because he could play sports and some day soon he'll hit the real world and no one will care how fast he can run the 200. Basically he was a douche bag but I didn't feel like hoofing it back to my place so I hung out till my ride was leaving too.

So that was friday. cinco de mayo was fun too, but the only thing fun about that evening was going for a beer at friend of friends house only to have the guys middle aged neighbors show up in their underwear one had a football helmet on carring a mop, and I can't recall what the others did or didn't have on. It was interesting. So the guys were trying to think of how they could top that. Streaking was mentioned. I wasn't down with that. So then my friend who has seen 300 a few too many times made a tin foil loin cloth, arm and leg guards also of tin foil and grabbed a foam sword that was there. Everyone else headed the the neighbors to say hello and say it was funny, after a few quick laughs our friend in the tin foil comes leaping into the house in all his glory. It was funny. We went to the bar, I wore my sombrero and drank tequila, the bar was lame.

No comments: