Tuesday, August 07, 2007

FISA

I can't believe I actually legally became affiliated with such a pathetic weak willed bunch of do nothings as the fucking democratic party. My outrage is limited only by the fact that I don't have a government official within arms reach. the program that this law legalizes has already been declared unconstitutional and so this law should be overturned in the courts but it still means that the formerly illegal and unconstitutional program is now just unconstitutional for a few years until this reaches the supreme court and then of course thats a huge gamble. Now had this been a few years ago I would have simply said until this reaches the supreme court but today I have no idea which way this would go.

For those who don't know what I'm ranting about let me explain real quick, remember that huge scandal about the NSA wiretapping American citizens without bothering to get warrants that almost never get denied, ones that don't even need to be asked for until within 3 days after you start listening in on people. Yeah you might not it was quickly forgotten in the midst of so many scandals that put whitewater to shame as small fry stuff. The reality is that the FISA courts main way of protecting us wasn't by blocking warrants (who wants to be the judge who got it wrong?) but its mere existence meant that some slight caution had to be used when deciding who to listen in on. Now we have forgone anything that might be called oversight.

I'm too pissed off to continue right now, plus I just read something silly that should get my mind at ease.

No comments: