Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Zeitgeist

First off I'm pissed because I wrote a nice little review of this film yesterday only to have my computer freeze up on me. Fucking Microsoft.

Ok this was a good film that could have been even better, it could have been much better in fact. I would recomend that people skip to about 14 minutes into the film at which point it starts actually making its case against a historical Jesus. This part I found fascinating. Before I get into that thought I want to say how this film could have been better. Because I had found the first part interesting I did not want to watch the next two parts. They dealt with 9/11 conspiracies and the Federal Reserve Bank and I didn't want my opinion of the first section marred by association with the last two parts. Ok actually it was a time issue, but the little I saw made me happy not to go further. Mostly just because I saw one of there experts who is a guy who seems to be in every conspiracy theory movie. The other major problem for me was the basic tone of the film, at least during the lead in. In a movie like this it's good not to seem like you have an agenda, even though obviously they do. To me these kind of movies need to present their evidence and if its convincing then good and if its not they it doesn't matter how much crap they throw on top its still not convincing. In the same vein when the evidence in intriguing then you hurt yourself by trying to prop it up with angry rhetoric.

Now for evidence itself. Now I've heard before that there is only anecdotal evidence for Jesus as a human. But I figured that was due to the great amount of time that has passed and just sort of assumed the historians were correct because it was the simplest explanation I'd heard. But now I've heard an argument thats both simpler and makes more sense. I had also heard before that many of the attributes of Jesus were common among many pagan gods, but I had never before heard why. This is the critical part that makes me praise this film. The reason why there are so many very similar stories in the ancient world is because they all had one thing in common, the stars. The stars were a major part of life in those days, the stars told you when to plant your crops, told you when winter was coming, the were the calender and they also gave rise to intricate stories which became the early religions. Maybe Astrology also gave rise to Christianity.

Here is what I recommend go here, Zeitgeist the Movie. hit play then hit pause. let it download for a bit, slide the bar to the 14 minute mark. Watch through to the end of part 1 turn it off and ponder. Then come back to this page and tell me what you thought of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't even make it to the end of part one. The only way I could conceive of watching this whole movie is in a planetarium after ingesting a lot of hallucinogens. And even then, it would probably make for a pretty good ultra-paranoid trip. Seriously though, there is a lot of similarity between pagan ritual, astrology and Christianity.