Monday, June 09, 2008

A Simple Question for McCain

While sucking up to the religious right Senator McCain made this simple statement. "the Constitution established the United States of America as a Christian nation." My rather simple retort is where? Where exactly in the Constitution of the United States does it claim this nation is a christian one? I know that in Article 6 it says that there can be no religious test to hold office. I also know that the first amendment says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;" I also know that if I do a little search with that text the words God, Jesus, even creator come up with nothing, searching for religion will only lead you to find out that it is expressly forbidden from being a part of the government, but it's freedom is guaranteed in your home. So I ask again where exactly in the constitution does it say this country is a christian one, if he does not know then it makes me awfully wary as to if he knows the document, I wonder if he's read it recently? Do we really want a president to swear to uphold a document he doesn't have a grasp on? I don't.

He also said some shit that should piss off every muslim in the country, and there are a few million of them. He said,
"But, no, I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles.... personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith. But that doesn't mean that I'm sure that someone who is Muslim would not make a good president. I don't say that we would rule out under any circumstances someone of a different faith. I just would--I just feel that that's an important part of our qualifications to lead.*
Apparently someone on the campaign pointed out that muslims are allowed to vote in this country, and that they will consider that comment highly offensive, so this is at the end.
*McCain contacted Beliefnet after the interview to clarify his remarks: “I would vote for a Muslim if he or she was the candidate best able to lead the country and defend our political values.”
It's gotta be tough to kiss ass to such an egotistical group as the religious right without pissing off a whole lot of other people. Ha, here's another simple question, has religion helped any candidate during this election? Ok yeah the only reason Huckabee made a blip was his godliness, but obviously his god wasn't powerful enough to get him elected. Oh and I heard he did the Heimlich and saved a guy over the weekend, well done huck. Back to my point, it seems like religion has been a bit of a third rail for everyone (of the contenders) this time around. Maybe thats a sign of things to come, maybe politicians will go back to keeping their faith personal and not feel the need to prove how much they love mr. jesus. Maybe its wishful thinking.

No comments: