Thursday, March 05, 2009

Presidential Dictatorship

I'm still pretty far behind with current events. Let me check the crystal ball and... yup the economy is still fucked. Thats going to take some time and thats pretty much the story of the day. I did feel a little more american this morning when I found out that I lost money in the stock market, a fairly significant chunk of my retirement. Of course I had forgotten that I had a retirement fund and now I can only retire for a month instead of 6 weeks. In the long run, probably not that big a deal. And because the economy keeps coming up this quote is never far from my mind.
This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

I miss Douglas Adams, I think he'd really be enjoying the battle between science and religion and he'd have some great insight into the current shit going on. Plus he'd be a great ally for science because he can be totally condescending while lighthearted and hilarious.

Anyway, like I said I'm behind on the news of the world. One thing I have heard about, and it's not really news, is the old Bush memo's coming out. John Yoo and some others tried to create legal cover for the president to literally do anything during time of war, with the only restriction being that it must be war related. The problem is it also says that the president can incarcerate any "enemy combatant" and that nothing but the presidents word is needed to give someone that label at which point they can be locked up indefinitely. And in case you were thinking this can't apply to citizens, well you'd be wrong. Oh you have rights? The constitution. Yeah these law professors have apparently never heard of it. This is one of the times I really wish I believed in an afterlife. I want to get to heaven and find Bush and his cronies getting their asses beat for all eternity by George Washington while Jefferson and Hamilton turn it into a competition between them. Orwell occasionally stops by to do a little kicking, screaming out, "It was meant to be a DYSTOPIA you fucking twit!" All the while Ben Franklin sits back, flirts with the ladies and hurls insults at the president that thought he could be king. The Rude One also has some things to say about this of course.

It's funny to me. For years we tried to prove to people just how unbelievably bad Bush really was, but for years no one wanted to hear it. Many eventually came around to make him one of the least popular presidents ever, but it was sooooo slow to happen. Even then many didn't want to accept that he was as bad as he was. I think it was simply too much for people to handle. If he did one of his major fuck ups he would have been in trouble, but because there was a nearly uninterrupted string of horror people just said we were grasping at straws. We were exaggerating to make him seem worse because we didn't like him. The reality was that we were holding back to avoid that situation. I'm not going to break Godwin's Law, Bush was not Hitler. He didn't want to be Hitler, I don't think Bush wanted to kill people he wanted to be very rich and very powerful, he was simply indifferent to the deaths. It is an important distinction. So Bush isn't Hitler, but I think he really wanted to be "Big Brother."

You know what? I totally ran out of steam on this one. I guess I just can't generate the hate that I used to. He can't hurt us anymore, his legacy can but the man is gone. Yes he should be brought to justice but I guess I just don't care about pointing out what I had already known. Sure having it so clearly spelled out should scare the shit out of people, but it was pretty clear all along that this was the theory he was operating under so I just don't care that much. Oh and Fuck John Yoo.

No comments: